Kale and Basil Pesto Zoodles with Mushrooms
These zoodles are full of bold flavors and they are ideal for a light lunch or dinner. They can stand as a meal on their own, or serve them as a side with grilled fish or chicken.
Author: Mushroom Council
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
What You Need
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- ¼ cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 ½ pounds) cut into zoodles
- Fine sea salt to taste
What You Do
- Place the kale, basil, and 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a small food processor or the cup of a single serving blender. Pulse in 10 second intervals until all ingredients are combined and the kale is finely chopped.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and the ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Pulse in 10 second intervals until all ingredients are finely chopped and transform into a thick dressing.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, just until the being to soften. Add the zoodles and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, just until they begin to become tender.
- Pour in the pesto and cook for 1 more minute to heat all ingredients. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and season with any addition salt to taste before serving.